PM Maturity Assessment
Many product leaders we speak to would like their product management function to make a more strategic contribution to the business. However, the product management function and the organization are complex and in-motion. Many leaders have an idea of the metrics they would like to move such as revenue and time to market, the big question is: Where do we start?
To help identify and prioritize opportunities for improvement, career.pm has developed an assessment framework that can generate a maturity score for the PM function in a company or business unit.
The Organizational Maturity Score is a weighted average of scores for three dimensions:
- Process Maturity: Does the PM organization understand the key processes that make them successful and are they continuously improving them?
- Professional Competency: Are the right professionals "on the bus" and are they developing the skills they need to be important?
- Organizational Setup Effectiveness: Is the organization architected in a way that promotes a strategy contribution by product management?
Conducting the Assessment
Gathering the information that informs the scores for the three dimensions involves a multitude of activities:
- Interviews are conducted with all product-related disciplines, including PM, engineering, marketing, sales and others.
- Product management complete a self-assessment regarding important competencies. The same assessment is completed by their management to assess alignment and identify key areas for improvement.
- Key product disciplines like engineering and marketing complete questionnaires providing insight into their perception of the effectiveness of product management.
- Process are assessed in a structured manner to identify their maturity and identify opportunities for optimization
- Key artifacts like roadmaps are analyzed for strengths and weaknesses
Scope, Duration and Pricing
An assessment can be right-sized for almost any organization and vary in duration from a few days to a couple of weeks. Assessment pricing is based on factors such as scope and depth of analysis.
If you would like to explore if a Product Management Maturity Assessment is right for your organization please contact us.